7 Steps to Naturally Healing Adrenal Fatigue
Adrenal fatigue is an illness that many of us are dealing with on a daily basis. The main cause is chronic stress - so much so that the body cannot successfully protect the body from its negative effects. Ultimately adrenal fatigue is complete exhaustion and total body burnout. Here are some tips to help support your body if you life a very stressful life!
1. Go on a caffeine detox. Eliminate all caffeine from your diet until your adrenals are normal. This will help reset your cortisol levels.
2. Revamp your diet. Eliminate any foods that you have sensitivities to, particularly eliminate excess sugar from your diet. Eating excess sugar creates blood sugar spikes and dips that cause the adrenals to work harder. Instead, eat lots of brightly colored vegetables, lean clean protein, and whole grains. Also be sure to eat regular meals so your blood sugar doesn’t dip too low. No more skipping breakfast!
3. Create a regular, early bedtime. Go to bed early, before you get a second cortisol surge after 11 pm. Aim to get to bed at 10 o clock or before. Practicing “proper sleep hygiene” is an idea that’s become increasingly important in our fast-paced world, and part of that means keeping a regular bedtime so you train your body to sleep better.
4. Meditate. Aim to manage stress in a more proactive way. Instead of waiting until something upsets you to try and calm down in the moment (which can be difficult, especially when your adrenals are taxed,) begin every day with a 10-minute meditation. This will regulate your breathing, calm your mind and body, and help you better manage any stress that comes your way before it overwhelms your adrenals.
5. Try Himalayan sea salt. Adrenal fatigue affects a hormone called aldosterone, which is partly responsible for regulating salt in the body. Because of this, consuming more natural salts like Himalayan sea salt, which are full of trace minerals that support your adrenal function, can actually help heal your adrenals.
6. Avoid Over-Exercising. Too much cardio or excessive exercise is hard on the adrenals. If you’re suffering from adrenal fatigue, consider switching to a more moderate exercise routine, including de-stressing practices like gentle yoga or walking.
7. Try Adaptogenic Herbs. Adaptogens are herbs that help your body deal with stress better. Consider taking an herb that supports adrenal health, like ashwagandha or rhodiola.